Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
A Short-stay Family/Friend Visit Visa is an important document that allows individuals to travel to Singapore for visiting their family or friends. This visa falls under the category of tourist visas and is designed for individuals who intend to stay in Singapore for a short period. A Short-stay Family/Friend Visit Visa is valid for a period of up to 30 days, and it is issued to individuals who have relatives or friends legally residing in Singapore. The duration of the stay depends on the validity of the evisa, and visitors cannot extend their stay beyond the expiration date of their visa.
The Short-stay Family/Friend Visit Visa is issued to individuals who wish to visit their immediate family members, such as spouses, parents, children, and siblings, who are permanent residents or citizens of Singapore. It can also be issued to individuals who wish to visit their friends, relatives, or acquaintances in Singapore. The visa is only applicable for non-business related purposes, and visitors cannot engage in any form of employment or business activity during their stay in Singapore.
To be eligible for a Short-stay Family/Friend Visit eVisa, visitors must fulfill certain criteria. They must have a valid passport with a minimum validity of six months beyond their intended stay in Singapore. They must also provide evidence of their financial capacity to support their stay in Singapore, such as bank statements or proof of employment. Visitors must also show proof of their intention to return to their home country after their visit to Singapore, such as a return air ticket.
Applying for a Short-stay Family/Friend Visit Visa is a straightforward process. Visitors can apply online or in-person at the Singaporean embassy or consulate in their home country. They must provide all the necessary documents, such as a completed visa application form, a recent passport-size photograph, and proof of their relationship with their host in Singapore. The application process may take up to two weeks, and visitors are advised to apply well in advance of their intended travel date.
It is essential to note that a Short-stay Family/Friend Visit Visa does not guarantee entry into Singapore. Immigration officers at the point of entry have the discretion to deny entry to visitors who do not meet the immigration requirements or who pose a threat to national security. Visitors must also comply with the immigration laws and regulations of Singapore and must not engage in any illegal activities during their stay.
A Short-stay Family/Friend Visit eVisa is a valuable document that enables individuals to visit their loved ones in Singapore. The visa is valid for a short period, and visitors must comply with the immigration requirements and regulations of Singapore during their stay. It is essential to apply for the evisa well in advance and provide all the necessary documents to ensure a smooth and hassle-free application process.
Overview of the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
The Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa is a type of short-term tourist visa that allows individuals to visit their family or friends who are legally residing in Singapore. This visa is designed for those who wish to stay in Singapore for a short period of time, usually up to 30 days, to spend time with their loved ones.
The visa application process is straightforward, and the requirements are minimal. Applicants must provide a copy of their passport, a completed application form, and a letter of invitation from their family or friend residing in Singapore. The letter should include the full name, address, and contact details of the host, as well as the duration and purpose of the visit.
Once the application is submitted, it will be reviewed by the Singaporean authorities, and a decision will be made within a few days. If the visa is approved, the applicant will be granted entry into Singapore and will be able to spend time with their family or friends for the duration of their evisa validity.
It is important to note that the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends eVisa does not permit the visa holder to work or engage in any business activities while in Singapore. The visa is solely intended for personal visits and tourism purposes.
Overall, the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa provides a convenient and accessible way for individuals to visit their loved ones who are residing in Singapore.
Eligibility for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
To be eligible for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have a valid reason for visiting your family or friends in Singapore, such as a family reunion, a wedding, or a holiday.
- You must have a sponsor in Singapore who is either a citizen or a permanent resident of Singapore. Your sponsor must be willing to provide a letter of invitation and guarantee your stay in Singapore.
- You must have enough funds to cover your stay in Singapore without relying on public assistance. You may be required to provide evidence of your financial means, such as bank statements or income tax returns.
- You must have a valid passport with at least six months' validity beyond the intended period of stay in Singapore.
- You must not have a criminal record or pose a security threat to Singapore.
- You must not have been previously deported from Singapore or any other country.
- You must be in good health and not have any infectious diseases.
Note that meeting these eligibility criteria does not guarantee that your application for a Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa will be approved. The final decision rests with the Singaporean authorities, and they may require additional documents or information before making a decision.
Applying for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
To apply for a Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa, you will need to follow these steps:
- Determine if you need a visa: Check if you need a visa to enter Singapore by visiting the website of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA).
- Gather required documents: Collect all the necessary documents such as a valid passport, passport-size photograph, and an invitation letter from your family or friend in Singapore. You may also need to submit supporting documents like proof of accommodation, financial means, and return flight ticket.
- Complete the visa application form: Fill in the visa application form online.
- Pay the visa fee: You will need to pay the visa fee which can range from 30 to 90 SGD depending on your nationality and other factors.
- Submit the application: Submit your visa application along with all the required documents and fees to the online or nearest Singapore Overseas Mission or through a visa application center, if available in your country.
- Wait for the visa approval: The processing time for a Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa can take up to 10 working days, so plan accordingly. If your application is approved, you will receive a notification by email or SMS.
- Collect the visa: Once your visa is approved, collect the visa from the Singapore Overseas Mission or visa application center. Make sure to carry the visa and all the supporting documents with you when you travel to Singapore.
Note: It is advisable to apply for the visa at least 4 weeks before your intended travel date to avoid any delays or issues.
Required Documents for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
To apply for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa, you will typically need to provide the following documents:
- Passport: A valid passport with at least six months of validity from the date of entry to Singapore.
- Passport size photo: One passport-sized photograph taken within the last three months.
- Proof of financial means: You may need to provide proof of your financial means to support your stay in Singapore, such as bank statements or a letter from your employer stating your salary.
- Invitation letter: An invitation letter from your family member or friend who resides in Singapore. This letter should include the inviter's full name, Singapore address, contact number, and their relationship with you. It should also include the purpose and duration of your visit, as well as details of your accommodation arrangements in Singapore.
- Proof of relationship: You may need to provide proof of your relationship with your family member or friend, such as a birth or marriage certificate.
- Employment documents: If you are employed, you may need to provide a letter from your employer stating your job position, salary, and the duration of your leave.
- Itinerary: You may need to provide your travel itinerary, including details of your flight and accommodation bookings.
- Visa application fee: You will need to pay a non-refundable visa application fee when submitting your application.
Note that additional documents may be required depending on your individual circumstances and the requirements of the Singaporean authorities.
Processing Time and Fees for the Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa
The processing time for a Singapore Family Visit visa can vary depending on several factors, such as your country of application, the number of applications being processed, and the complexity of your case. In general, the average processing time for a Singapore Family Visit visa is between 3 to 20 calendar days. However, it's important to note that this is just an estimate and the actual processing time may vary.
If you have submitted a complete and accurate application along with all the required documents, then it's more likely that your evisa application will be processed faster. However, if there are any issues with your application, such as missing or incomplete documents or any other discrepancies, it may take longer for your visa to be processed.
It's recommended to apply for your Singapore Family Visit evisa well in advance of your intended travel date to avoid any last-minute complications. It's also important to note that the processing time may be longer during peak travel seasons, such as holidays or school breaks. Therefore, it's advisable to plan accordingly and submit your visa application well in advance.
The visa fee for a Singapore Family Visit visa is 30 SGD, which is approximately 22 USD, as of February 2023. However, this fee may vary depending on your country of nationality and residence. Some countries may have higher visa fees, while others may have lower fees.
In addition to the visa fee, you may also need to pay other fees such as service fees, processing fees, and courier fees depending on the visa application center you use.
It's important to note that visa fees are non-refundable, even if your visa application is rejected. So, make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria and have all the required documents before submitting your application to avoid any delays or additional costs.
Singapore Visiting Family and Friends Visa Extension
If you are in Singapore on a Social Visit Pass (SVP) and wish to extend your stay to continue visiting family and friends, you can apply for a visa extension. The SVP allows visitors to stay in Singapore for up to 30 days, and it can be extended for an additional 89 days.
To apply for a visa extension, you can submit an application online through the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) website or visit the ICA office in person. You will need to provide your passport, a completed application form, and supporting documents such as a letter of invitation from your Singaporean host, proof of financial means to support your stay, and a confirmed return ticket or onward travel plans.
It is recommended that you apply for the extension before your current SVP expires. The processing time for a visa extension is usually around three working days, but it may take longer during peak periods or if additional documentation is required.
Note that a visa extension does not guarantee entry into Singapore, and you may still be subject to immigration checks upon arrival. It is also important to comply with the conditions of your visa and not overstay your permitted duration of stay.
Frequently asked questions
Foreign nationals who have family or friends living in Singapore who are permanent residents, citizens, or holders of a valid pass issued by the Singapore government are eligible for this visa.
No, you are not allowed to work in Singapore with this visa.
No, this visa cannot be extended. If you need to stay in Singapore for a longer period, you will have to apply for a different type of visa.
The duration of stay with this visa is usually up to 30 days, but it can vary depending on the discretion of the immigration officer.
Yes, you are required to provide proof of accommodation for the duration of your stay in Singapore, such as a hotel reservation or a letter of invitation from your host with their address and contact details.
No, this visa only allows you to enter and stay in Singapore. If you plan to visit other countries, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa for each country.
If your visa application is rejected, you can reapply or request for a review within 30 days of the rejection date. However, the decision of the immigration officer is final and cannot be appealed.
While it is not mandatory, it is recommended that you have travel insurance to cover any medical emergencies, accidents, or unforeseen circumstances during your stay in Singapore.
The processing time for this visa usually takes 3-20 calendar days, depending on the country where you submitted your application.
No, you cannot apply for this visa online. You will have to submit a hard copy of the visa application form and the required documents in person or by mail to the nearest Singapore embassy or consulate in your country.